This is my version of a spicy snack bread that is healthier than plain white bread. I really like how hearty it is. The savory flavors from Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper are so satisfying when I want a quick snack. I like eating this with the Olive Oil Butter Spread. =)
1.5 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp honey
1/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp quinoa
3 tbsp flax seeds
3 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup gluten
1 3/4 cup bread flour
1.5 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
1. Mix the yeast, agave, and warm water in a small bowl. Cover and set aside for 15 mins to let rise. It should look frothy when it’s ready.
2. Dry roast the chia, flax, and qunioa. Let it cool, then grind it into a fine powder (will be ~1 cup ground).
3. In a large bowl, mix the chia/flax/quinoa flour, gluten, bread flour, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
4. Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Turn on to floured surface and knead for ~15 mins until smooth and elastic.
5. Lightly oil the dough ball and put it back in the large bowl. Cover the top with cling wrap and place in oven (oven should be OFF) for 1 hour to rise.
6. Punch down the dough. Shape it into rolls or place in a loaf pan (this recipe makes 1 loaf). Loosely cover with oiled cling wrap and place in oven (oven should be OFF) again for 45 min-1 hour to rise.
7. Place a small container with water in the back of the oven- this will stay there throughout the baking time to help make it crusty. Bake at 425 F for 10 mins, then turn down the oven to 400 and bake for and 15-25 mins depending on if you made rolls of loaves. The bread is done when it turns a dark brown on top and sounds hollow when you tap it.
Bread Machine Directions
4. In the bread machine pan, first add the yeast mix, olive oil, and water. Then add the flour mix. Then add the salt on top. Run based on your desired bread machine setting (light, medium, dark, etc).