These little cookies really hit an Indian note with the cumin and black pepper. They are based on a recipe for Pepper-Cumin Cookies. I changed some of the quantities and replaced some of the all purpose flour with cashew flour since I like the texture more.
5 oz sugar
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1.5 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp sea salt
12 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp lemon extract)
7 oz cashew flour
9 ox all purpose flour
1. Rub the lemon zest into the sugar and keep aside till step 3.
2. Dry roast the cumin and black pepper until the cumin turns a light brown. Grind these together with sea salt.
3. Beat the butter and sugar together until it becomes light and fluffy.
4. Add the ground cumin, black pepper, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat until uniform.
5. Add the cashew flour and all purpose flour. Beat on low until mixed in.
6. Roll into 1 tsp balls and flatten slightly into discs. Alternatively, you can forma log and slice it into 1/4-inch thick slices. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
7. Take the cookies directly from the fridge and place on a parchment / Silpat lined baking sheet ~1 inch apart. Bake at 350 F for ~15 mins (until the edges turn a light brown). Cool and store in an airtight container.