The first time I had quinoa risotto was in a Peruvian restaurant, and I loved the creaminess and texture. It paired my love of risotto with my love of quinoa, and has the added benefit of being a healthier dish. This was a first time experiment, and I really like how it came out. Peas and asparagus are in season, so I decided to make it a green themed dish.
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups quinoa (I used multicolor quinoa)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup peas
10 asparagus stalks, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups baby arugula
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 scallion stalks, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1. Heat the olive oil, garlic, onion, and salt in a large, heavy bottom pot on med-high heat. Cook for 3-5 mins, until the garlic just starts to brown.
2. Add the quinoa and stir for 2 mins to lightly toast.
3. Add 1 cup of broth and stir until the broth is absorbed. Repeat 2 times using 1/2 cup measures of broth each time.
4. Add the peas, asparagus, and remaining 1 cup of broth. Stir until the broth is absorbed. Taste it at this point to see if the quinoa is cooked. If not, add a little broth or water and cook until it is done.
5. Remove from the heat. Stir in the arugula, cream, and parmesan cheese.
6. Sprinkle the scallions and pine nuts on top. Serve hot!