This post doesn’t have recipes, just ideas. A little bit of this… a little bit of that… and suddenly I have a vat of spicy, chunky chili! Far more than I can eat at once. Luckily, chili freezes well. The list below is how I used up all my leftovers…. If anyone else has ideas, please share! As a side note, I think I’m always going to make extra now. =)
What to do with leftover chili…
1. Layer tortilla chips on a baking tray. Spoon the chili over the chip, and then top with good quality cheddar cheese, scallions, and cilantro. Bake at 350 F- till the chili gets hot and the cheese melts.
2. Mix it in equal parts with spaghetti sauce and use it over pasta.
3. Stuff it in enchiladas.
4. Mix it with cheddar cheese and grill it in between bread to make a panini sandwich.
5. Stuff it in small puff pastry squares and then bake per puff pastry instructions. Think fancy Hot Pocket.
6. Use it as the bottom layer of a casserole. Top with cheese that melts well (I used fontina), then cornbread batter. Bake following the cornbread instructions.
7. Stuff bell peppers and poblano peppers with it, then bake at 350 till heated through (20-30 mins).
8. Mixed a small amount in eggs to make a spiced omelette.
9. Layer it with macaroni and cheese. Put the chili on the bottom, then mac & cheese , then bread crumbs. Bake at 350 fro 30-40 mins. talk about mixing comfort foods!)
10. Chili lasagna!!! Mash it slightly in a 2:1 ratio (chili:pasta sauce). Use it in place of regular pasta sauce when layering lasagna.