Make at your own risk… For a little extra effort, you get an amazing end result (to the point of being addictive). The salted caramel compliments the chocolate brownies SO incredibly well. My “in a pinch” favorite combo is to use the Ghiradelli brownie mix with Trader Joe’s soft caramels. Note: I ask you to use recipes scaled for an 8×8 pan (most commercially available brownie mixes), but to make these brownies in a 9×13 inch pan- this is not a typo! It’s just my preferred ratio of chocolate to caramel… =)
your favorite brownie recipe (scaled for an 8×8 inch pan)- you will need to make this twice
14 oz bag of vanilla caramels (the soft, chewy caramels)
1/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 tsp sea salt (for caramel filling)
1/2 tsp sea salt (for top brownie layer)
1. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with enough foil to come up on the sides.
2. Make one batch of brownies (enough to fill a 8×8 inch pan). Pour into the foil-lined baking dish and bake as per the recipe you are following. This will be the bottom brownie layer.
3. Let the brownies cool (15-20 mins). While they are cooling, make the salted caramel filling by mixing the caramel and heavy cream in a bowl over a double boiler. Stir until the caramels melt and the filling becomes smooth. Then, mix in 3/4 tsp of sea salt.
4. Pour the salted caramel filling over the cooled brownies.
5. Make the second batch of brownies (enough to fill a 8×8 inch pan). Gently spoon this mix over the salted caramel, making sure you cover all of the exposed salted caramel. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of sea salt (or flake salt) on top. Bake as per the recipe you are following. This will be the top brownie layer.
6. Cool the brownies in the tray before cutting. Once it is cool, cover the tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Then, remove the brownies by pulling the foil out. Cut them into pieces and serve at room temperature. Store in an airtight container.