I’ve never had meatloaf, so I can’t say how much this represents the original, but I really like it! It’s relatively easy to make and feels satisfying. The base is lentils, oatmeal, tomato sauce, and flax. You can vary the veggies too- sometimes I add spinach or corn.
1 cup split red lentils
2 cups water
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/3 cup boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp garlic, crushed
1 tbsp basil, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, dried
1.5 tsp paprika
2 cups of mixed vegetables, chopped fine (I use 1/3 cup onion, 1/3 cup celery, 1/3 cup carrots, 1/3 cup zucchini, 1/3 cup red bell pepper,and 1/3 cup green bell pepper)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (sometimes I substitute wheat bread)
1. Rinse lentils in water. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 min. Let this cool. Once cooled, mash with a fork until mostly smooth, but with a few lentils intact.
2. In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with 1/3 cup boiling water. Let this sit for 5 minutes, then mix it into the lentils.
3. Mix in the oats, olive oil, tomato sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic, basil, parsley, and paprika.
4. Mix in the remaining ingredients: onion, celery, carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper, and bread crumbs.
5. Grease a loaf pan on the bottom and sides. Sometimes I’ll do 2 loaf pans and make shorter meatloaf. Fill and flatten the top.
6. Bake at 350 F for 30- 45 min (top will turn brown). Let cool before turning out onto serving dish and slicing.