I recently bought a juicer since I love, love, love fresh juice. However, I can’t bear to throw away all the fiber and other good stuff that comes out. Over the past few weeks, I’ve been playing with recipes to find ways of using the pulp. I usually make juice blends, but today I was in the mood for 100% orange juice. After playing with proportions, I finally came up with the recipe below using orange juice pulp. It’s not sweet, so if you like sweeter muffins, you can add more agave, sugar, or honey.
Ingredients3 eggs 3/4 cup olive oil 1/2 cup agave nectar 2 tsp vanilla extract 1 cup craisins 1/3 cup almonds, chopped 3 cups orange pulp (I juiced 12 oranges for this) 1 tbsp baking soda 1 cup all purpose flour 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs together using a fork.
2. Add the olive oil, agave nectar, vanilla extract, almond extract, craisins, and almonds. Mix until uniform.
3. Mix in the pulp until all of the lumps are gone.
4. Mix in the baking soda and flours until all of the lumps are gone. The batter will be thick.
5. Line muffin trays with paper liners (~48). Fill the muffin cups ~3/4 full with batter. Bake at 350 F for 30 min.