It’s berry season!!! If any actually make it past the colander, they land up in this super easy, versatile recipe for mixed fruit crumble. As much as I like fruits, the topping is my favorite part! As you can see from the picture, a nice scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream is a great compliment.
The other great thing is that you can use any variety of fruits, as long as they total about 6 cups. Some of the combos I like are mango-strawberry, blueberry-blackberry-raspberry-strawberry, mango-peach-blackberry, strawberry-peach, mixed apples. The only fruits I don’t think will work well are the very watery ones like melons.
Fruit Filling Ingredients
2 cups blueberries
2 cups strawberries, cut into pieces slightly larger than a blueberry
2 cups peaches, cut into pieces slightly larger than a blueberry
2 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp arrowroot starch (you can substitute cornstarch, but I don’t like the taste of it)
pinch of salt
Crumble Topping Ingredients
12 tbsp salted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp molasses (if you don’t have molasses, substitute the sugar with light brown sugar)
1.5 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
To make the filling:
1. In a small bowl, mix the sugar, arrowroot starch, and salt. (This step keeps the starch from clumping up when you add it to the fruit.)
2. In a large bowl, mix the fruit, sugar mix, and lemon juice.
3. Spoon the fruit mix into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
To make the crumble:
4. In a large bowl, mix the butter, sugar, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg with a fork until the mixture is uniform.
5. Mix in the flour and oatmeal using a fork. When all the loose flour is incorporated, mix in the walnuts. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 1 hour.
6. Preheat the over to 350 F ~1 hour before you are ready to eat.
7. Take the crumble from the fridge and drop it in big clumps on top of the fruit, covering the whole top (do NOT pack it down, let it stay loose on top)
8. Bake at 350 F for 30 mins until the top is golden brown and the fruit juice is bubbling up through the topping.