My friend recommended this ready-made edemame dish at Trader Joe’s, and it was really good! So of course I had to try it at home =) The recipe below is not exactly the same because I modified it to suit my taste, but I like it because it’s healthy and high in protein. If you don’t have all the individual spices, I’m sure you can substitute an Indian spice/curry powder mix.
Ingredients1 tbsp oil 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds 3/4 cup onion, chopped fine 5 garlic cloves, chopped fine Spices: 1/2 tbsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/8 tsp asafoetida powder, 1/4 tsp cardamom powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder, 1/4 tsp clove powder, 1 tsp red pepper powder, 1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder 1 cup tomatoes, chopped into medium size pieces (I use 1/2 can of crushed tomato as a shortcut sometimes) 1″ piece of ginger, grated 2 cups edemame 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup coriander, chopped
(Note: use a heavy bottomed pot- NOT a non-stick pot)
1. Fry the cumin in the oil on med-high heat until it turns very light brown (~1-2 min). Add the onions and garlic and saute till light brown (~5-8 min).
2. Add all the spices and fry for another 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook on med heat until the tomatoes start to fall apart and become like gravy (~10 min).
4. Add the ginger, edemame, salt, and water. Simmer till almost dry on low heat (~10 min).
5. Top with coriander and serve hot with rice or (naan, roti, etc.) of your choice!