A classic childhood treat! I’ve loved Rice Krispie treats ever since I was a kid. There’s something about the crunchy and chewy texture that hits the spot! Over the years, I’ve modified the basic recipe below to suit my mood and taste preferences at the time. The beauty of this treat is that it is so versatile. Add food color for Valentine’s Day or St. Patrick’s Day, black & orange sprinkles for Halloween, candy cane bits for Christmas, other cereals, dried fruits and nuts or granola for flavor, and anything else you can imagine! For the ones I made this time, I spread half the mix in the pan, added chocolate to the other half and then spread it on top and cut. The recipe below is for the basic Rice Krispie treats.
Ingredients3 tbsp butter 10 oz marshmallows 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
2. In a large, heavy bottomed pan, melt the butter on low.
3. Using a wooden spoon, add the marshmallows and stir continuously until they melt and it becomes smooth.
4. Remove from heat. Add the cereal (and other things if you want) and quickly mix until the cereal is well coated.
5. Spread the mixture in the greased pan. Grease the bottom of a bowl, and use it to press firmly on the mixture so that it gets packed down. Cut it into the desired size pieces.
6. Store in an air tight container or wrap in cling-wrap.