To all of you who requested this recipe, sorry for taking so long to post it! I had this cupcake for the first time on a Cupcake Crawl. It was such a unique combination, so I had to try to make it at home. It’s not exactly the same since I don’t know their recipe, but it still tastes good! The frosting is really light and gives it a good flavor. Since the icing is cream/mascarpone based, it needs to be kept in the fridge until an hour or so before you’re ready to serve.
Ingredients3/4 cup brown sugar 4 egg whites 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 cup oil 1/2 cup crushed pineapple in its own juice 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp allspice 1 tsp cinnamon 2.5 cups all-purpose flour 1.5 cups zucchini, grated
1. Beat sugar, egg whites, vanilla, oil, and pineapple juice until just mixed (do not over-beat).
2. Add the baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and cinnamon and beat until mixed in (do not over-beat).
3. Add the flour and beat until batter is smooth.
4. Add the grated zucchini and beat until the batter is well mixed.
5. Line a muffin pan with cupcake wrappers. Fill them ~2/3 full. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 F for 20 mins (until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean).
Lemon Basil Frosting
Ingredients8 oz mascarpone cheese 1 cup heavy whipping cream 2 tsp lemon extract 15 leaves basil, chopped very fine 2 tbsp sugar
1. Beat everything until the frosting is thick (peaks will form).
2. After the cupcakes cool completely, spread the frosting on top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.