My friend made this really good okra recipe for dinner one day. The link for the original recipe is: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/skillet-roasted-spiced-okra. The recipe below is modified from the original to suit my taste (spices and quantities changes slightly). In an effort to use less oil, I broil the okra instead of cooking it on the skillet. If you like yogurt, this tastes good with plain yogurt (I used the Greek yogurt because it’s thicker)- it balances out the spices a bit.
Ingredients3/4 tsp cumin-coriander powder 3/4 tsp ground paprika 1/4 tsp ground fennel seeds 1/8 tsp turmeric powder 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon ¼ tsp dried mango powder (amchur) ¼ tsp dried ginger powder 1/4 tsp salt ~1/2 tsp oil (I use a Misto spray, so I’m estimating the amount of oil) 1 lb okra, cut in half lengthwise 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice cilantro (optional, to top)
1. In a small bowl, mix the cumin-coriander powder, ground paprika, ground fennel seeds, turmeric powder, ground cinnamon, dried mango powder, ginger powder, and salt (see picture below).
2. Spray a 9×13 inch glass baking pan with oil. Place the okra in a single layer in the baking pan (see picture below).
3. Broil the okra on the top rack of the oven for 7 mins.
4. Remove from the oven and flip the okra over. Broil again for 4 mins.
5. Toss in the spice mix and try to coat the okra evenly. Once well mixed, add the lemon juice and stir well.
6. Optional: top with cilantro. Serve hot!