We have people coming for dinner Friday night, so we decided to make Thai food, which means dessert is going to be mango with sticky rice! I love it in restaurants, but I’ve never made it before. Since it looks somewhat complicated to make, I did a trial run today. The recipe below is a combination of multiple recipes and modified to suit my taste. Also, it is not complicated, just time-consuming, so please don’t be intimidated. It’s definitely worth it!
Ingredients1 1/2 cups sticky rice
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk 1/3 cup sugar 1/4 tsp salt toasted sesame seeds, for topping
2 mangoes, peeled and cut into cubes
Coconut Milk Sauce- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk and 3 tbsp sugar
1. Wash the rice until the water is clear. Soak for at least 2 hours (maximum of overnight).
2. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk sauce ingredients. As soon as it boils, remove it from the stove. Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to use (it will thicken as it cools).
3. Drain the rice in a metal strainer. Then place the strainer on a pot of boiling water (the water should not touch the bottom of the strainer) and cover. Steam the rice for 45 mins until it is done. You will probably need to add more water to the pot as the level gets low.
4. In a small saucepan, boil the remaining coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Stir for ~3 mins, then remove from heat. Leave this in the saucepan because you will need to reheat it right before you add it to the cooked rice.
5. Once the rice is done, mix it with the heated coconut milk from Step 4. Cover it and let it stand for 20 mins.
6. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the rice mixture onto a plate and shape into a mound. Place ~1/4 cup of mango cubes on the side. Drizzle a little bit of the chilled coconut milk sauce on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds.