The grocery store had really healthy looking poblano peppers last week that were begging to be stuffed! Although the recipe may sound tricky, it’s really not too bad. The main thing is to not over cook the rice and to mix it in last so that it doesn’t get mushy. Additionally, you can make it vegan by not adding the sour cream and the shredded cheese- it will still hold together.
Ingredients8 poblano peppers (~5 inches long) 1 cup rice 1.5 cups water 2.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil 1 tsp cumin seeds 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/4 cup onions, diced 6 oz mushrooms, cut into quarters (~1/2 inch pieces)
13 oz can black beans, drained and slightly mashed 1/2 cup corn
1/2 tsp ground black pepper 3/4 cup sour cream (optional) 1 cup tomatoes, diced (or 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional) 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
1. Wash the peppers. Leaving the stem on, cut a slit down the middle, leaving ~1/2 inch on each end. Then cut a 1 inch strip across the end with the stem to make a slit that looks like a T. Carefully pull the flaps open, and discard the seeds. Save the peppers on the side to use later.
2. Rinse the rice until the water is clear. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice, water, and 1 tsp of salt to a boil. Then lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until the water is gone. Save the rice on the side to use later.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil on med-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, garlic, and onions and fry for 2 mins. Add the mushrooms and saute until they shrink in half and the water is gone (~7-10 mins).
4. Remove the mushroom mix from the heat and add the beans, 2 tsp salt, black pepper, sour cream, tomatoes, mozzarella, cilantro, and scallions. Once this is well mixed, add the rice and mix again.
5. Gently open the flaps on the pepper and densely pack in the rice mixture using a small spoon. Once it is filled completely, press in the flaps.
6. Place in a single layer on a baking tray with the slits on top. Bake at 350 F for 45 mins-1 hour.