For me, a lot of cooking is trial and error, and this recipe is one of them. Around Christmas time, I bought a couple of boxes of the Wilton’s Gingerbread Mix from Michaels- the main reason being that the cookies are eggless. The first time I made them (last picture on this post), I followed the recipe on the box exactly and the cookies came out more like ginger snaps. Although they were good, they weren’t gingery enough for me. So yesterday I tried again, this time modifying it. These came out more gingery and cookie like, so that’s the recipe I’m posting below.
Ingredients1 box gingerbread mix (as I mentioned above, I used Wilton’s) 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, at room temperature
1 cup water 1 cup flour 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp allspice 3/4 cup candied ginger, cut into small pieces
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the margarine on low until fluffy. Blend in Mix #1 (flour mix) until uniform and crumbly.
2. Add water, flour, and spices and beat until dough pulls off the sides of the mixing bowl. Add more water, a little at a time, if needed.
3. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup candied ginger pieces with 1/4 cup of Mix #2 (gingerbread spice mix).
4. Add the remaining Mix #2 to the dough and beat. Once the dough is well mixed, use a spoon or your hands to mix in the candied ginger pieces.
5. Form small balls (~1 tbsp) and place on cookie sheet, flatten slightly. I used a cookie press to get the flower shapes, but that was for fun, it’s not necessary. Press a piece of candied ginger in the middle.
6. Bake at 400 F for 13-15 minutes.