I’ve always thought that a tofu turkey was an interesting idea, but I don’t actually want to eat a tofu turkey that tastes like meat. I’m not a huge fan of restructured tofu, so I don’t like that “meaty” texture (not that I know what meat tastes like- this is based on what my friends who are non-veg say). I know a lot of places sell ready made tofurkeys, but I wanted one that didn’t have the meaty consistency, so I ended up making one from scratch (and had my fingers crossed the whole time!). It actually came out nicely- held it’s shape and all! Anyhow, here’s the recipe. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!!
Ingredients4 pounds of firm tofu, drained
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried sage 1 tbsp onion powder 1 tbsp garlic powder 1 tbsp dried parsley 1 tbsp dried rosemary 1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Put everything in a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
2. Line a strainer with cheese cloth. Spoon in the tofu mix. Fold the cheese cloth over and put a plate with weight on top (at least 5 lbs). Let it drain overnight in the fridge.
1 16-oz. packet of stuffing mix 1 tbsp oil 1 onion, chopped fine 1 celery stalk, chopped fine 4 cloves of garlic, minced ½ cup walnuts ½ cup craisins ½ cup green apple, chopped fine ½ cup pomegranate seeds ½ cup fresh parsley 2.5 cups veggie stock (I used Trader Joe’s)
1. Sauté the onion, celery, and garlic in oil. Add the remaining ingredients, except the stuffing mix and veggie broth and mix. Add the stuffing mix and veggie broth and mix.
Ingredients2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce 1/8 cup sesame oil 1 tbsp olive oil 2 tsp Pickapeppa sauce 1 tsp garlic sauce 1 tsp Maggi Masala sauce (or other tomato based spicy sauce) 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Mix everything together.
1 . Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Make the tofu the day before. You can also make the stuffing and marinade the day before if you want.
3. Unfold the cheese cloth. Carefully spoon out the middle of the tofu, leaving ~1 inch on all sides and bottom. Save this tofu to use later.
5. Spoon the saved tofu on top. Fold the cheese cloth over again and put a plate with weight on top (at least 5 lbs). Let it drain at room temp for 2-3 hours.
6. Grease a casserole dish with oil. Gently turn the tofu ball onto the dish and pat into shape.
8. Optional: Place onions, celery, carrots, fennel root, grape tomatoes around tofu.
9. Cover the dish with foil/lid. Bake at 400 F for 15 min.
10. Decrease oven temp to 350 F and bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 min. Keep it covered for this hour.
12. Serve hot with gravy (see previous blog entry).