We had a Thanksgiving potluck lunch at work today! The best thing about potlucks is you get to try all kinds of stuff and see a whole other side of people’s talents! Anyhow, I decided to make egg curry since people in the office seem to like Indian food. =)
Ingredients1 tbsp oil 1 onion, chopped fine 6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
Spices: 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tbsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/8 tsp asafoetida powder, 1/4 tsp cardamom powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder, 1/4 tsp clove powder, 1 tsp red pepper powder, 1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder, 1/2 tbsp curry powder (optional, I used MDH Kitchen King)2 tomatoes, poached, peeled, and chopped into big pieces (I use 1/2 can of crushed tomato as a shortcut sometimes) 1″ piece of ginger, grated 1 green pepper, chopped fine 1/2 cup peas, boiled (or any other veggie you want) 6 eggs, hard-boiled and cut into big pieces (I only use the egg whites, but it’s up to you) 1/4 cup coriander, chopped
(Note: use a heavy bottomed pot- NOT a non-stick pot)
1. Fry the cumin in the oil on med-high heat until it turns very light brown (~1-2 min). Add the onions and garlic and sautee till light brown (~5-8 min).
2. Add all the spices and fry for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook on med heat until the liquid is gone (~15 min).
4. Add the ginger, green peppers, peas, eggs, and 1 cup water. Simmer till almost dry on low heat (~30 min).
5. Top with corriander and serve hot with bread (naan, roti, etc.) of your choice!